Fashion & Lifestyle
Huda Dagnew | Exclusive Interview | #MyComeUpStory
Current issues that’s happening in our world like politics, natural disasters, Are the main stories that helps me in creating my designs as well as creating awareness.I like to tell stories through my design pieces.
- Name: Huda Dagnew
- Current title/ company? What’s your motto? creating beautiful women’s wear clothing. Huda Dagnew
- Year you launched the company:2013
My ComeUp Story
- Educational background? Are you self-taught or did you study fashion design?graduated with BA Fashion design at Middlesex University London in 2015 however I had experience in styling,modelling and making way before I went in the university .
- What sparked your interest in fashion? Describe the journey of creating your first piece? Being a model at that time helped me to discover the creative world of designing and from then have decided to make clothing from the scratch.I have created my first piece for my self which was swing dress and I got compliment from my fellow college students and that boosted my motivation in creating more.
- How did you start believing in your own work and talent? When I have studied my foundation course at the college in What made you take fashion more seriously and make a career out of it?
- What is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your company? To sleep less and to work harder.
- Breaking into the fashion industry isn’t an easy feat. What advice would you give to up-and-coming designers? I would love to tell the upcoming designer’s to believe in their work and work towards their goals.
- Do you recall any embarrassing moments you had during your come up? When I showcased my collection on Afwl 2013 one of my dress was half sewn which we later had to pin it while the model was wearing it.
- Tell us about a time you were faced with insurmountable odds, yet persevered to overcome? There was a great designer that I had a chance to work with as an intern, and he kept telling me that I don’t need to rush to be a designer which,I found his opinion provoking.I knew when and how to be a designer so his negative comment wasn’t needed.
My Daily Behind the Scenes
- What is your typical week day and weekend like? What do you do when not working? since I am on my maternity leave ,I stay at home most of the time looking after my kids and doing research for my upcoming evening wear collection .when I am not at home working and looking after my kids , basically I am at the gym doing boxing.
Where do you find your inspiration? Current issues that’s happening in our world like politics, natural disasters, Are the main stories that helps me in creating my designs as well as creating awareness.I like to tell stories through my design pieces.
- How did you initially source materials and manufacturers? I do make my collection all the time but when I get busy doing styling jobs I hire seamstress to help with the timing.
- How do you produce and distribute your designs? Mostly I produce my designs from home . I am hoping to build my website soon and that will help me in selling my product easily.
- Once you have the product, how do you get the word out? I think having my facebook page and Instagram are playing massive roles in promoting my self as well as my brand.I try to update everything I do.
- What songs do you listen to that psyches you up and makes you feel strong? might be weird but, I do usually listen to Lady Gaga ,and Lana del ray when I make clothes.
- What is one thing you do when you’re feeling stuck creatively? Prayer and talking to my mom (my world)who is knit wear designer is the only safer option for me.
My Now, My Future
- What would you like to achieve before the end of 2016? Finishing my evening wearing collection.
- What is the most meaningful project you have done? When I have created my graduate collection in 2015 .I managed to tell the struggle of Afghan refugees who lives in Iraq beautifully through my garments. What would your dream project be?My dream project is to collaborate with Asos or Topshop .
- What’s one dream you’ve achieved that you’re most proud of and why? being able to graduate in fashion design was a dream that I have accomplished .The reason is to be able to learn the whole concept of fashion practically and academically is bonus to the knowledge I have had through styling and modelling.
- Name a charity you are passionate about & explain why it matters to you. How do you show your support? for Me is to be able to help homeless and vulnerable counts as the same as donating to charities.
- If you could go back in time, what advice would you give to your teenage self?To act like my age as I was so mature and that kept me apart from my peers .